The Shot Tower was constructed in approximately 1932 and was designed by Browning and Hayes Architects and Surveyors. The building was first occupied by Stewart J.M. & Son Ltd, seed merchants, who used the facility as a seed store.
Since then, the building has been occupied by a
variety of tenants, as has been depicted in various historical photographs of the area.
The economic nature of its construction, including the use of cheaper material, meant that the building was in a very advanced state of decay in stark comparison to contemporary buildings like the Magistrate's Court and the Council House.